Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My dog has not been the same for nearly 2weeks. Hes not

Customer Question

Hi my dog Harry has not been the same for nearly 2weeks.
Hes not really excited to go on walkers like before he also keep staying in his bed and not intereacting. his tail is always down and his ears are up like curved. he has been to the vets and they don't know whas up but gave him something incase he has tooth ake.
well hes had all his 3 tablets and hes still the same. not responding and when I stroke him hes not really interested.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 10 months ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 months ago.

Hannah, I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. How old and which breed is Harry? Is he intact or neutered? His change in behavior over the last 2 weeks is worrisome but isn't pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one particular disorder. Rather than sending him home with a few pain pills I would have performed diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests in addition to performing a physical examination. If such testing revealed nothing untoward, I would proceed to X-ray his chest and abdomen.

Is he still eating? Is he drinking any more or less than usual? Are there any other symptoms such as sneezing, coughing, nasal discharge, a change in his eyes, increased respiratory rate, regurgitation/vomiting, weight loss, swollen abdomen, or lameness? Are the mucous membranes of his tongue and gums still nicely pink or are they whitish (anemia) or bluish/greyish (cyanosis/hypoxia/lack of oxygen to his tissues)?