Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 2yr old cairn terrier wants to go for s walk but after a

My 2yr old cairn terrier wants to go for s walk but after a very very short time stops, stretches out and seems to either choke, try to be sick or struggle to breath then is ok again but he also seems down, any advice would be great
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He also seems to have sneezed, grunted a few times
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is he hacking/gagging like if something is stuck in the throat?

2- Is he doing this at home when not walking?

3- Do you walk him with a harness or collar?

4- Any pre existing medical conditions?

5- How long has this been going on?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is gagging but only when he walks a little when sat or lying he does nothing like that, he is walked on a collar but lead has been slack and it has only been since early this morning.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for answering my questions. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, when a dog is hacking/gagging this is likely a sign of inflammation in the upper airway. A very common cause is an upper respiratory infection, basically a dog cold. Another common cause is a collapsing trachea, this is when the rings around the trachea become weak and collapse, the patient will then gag/hack to re-open the trachea lumen. The fact that this is happening mainly during his walk I am inclined to believe this is related to a cold. You see even though the collar is loose when it rubs against the neck this will cause hacking by stimulating the trachea (tube connecting mouth to lungs).

I would recommend a hands-on examination with your family veterinarian to auscultate his heart and lungs to make sure sounds are clear. In addition, he may need oral antibiotics. In the meantime, you can start him on Robitussin DM (cough) 1/2 teaspoon every 6-8 hours. You can buy Robitussin DM (cough) over the counter in any pharmacy. Do not buy sugar-free. Finally, I would stop using the collar and switch him over to a harness until this resolves.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome. :)