Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Hiya, I have a question about my beagle, he has been gagging

Customer Question

Hiya,
I have a question about my beagle, he has been gagging and coughing up water every now and again for the last two hours, it sounds like he has something stuck in his throat, but other than that he is perfectly fine, not acting differently at all.
Hope you can help.
Imogen
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 10 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question, Imogen. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any pre existing medical conditions?

2- Did he get into anything?

3- Is he lethargic?

4- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No medical conditions. He's a beagle so he eats everything he can get his mouth around, but he seems his normal bouncy self and his gums seen a normal pinkie colour.
Thanks for getting back to me.
X
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
He hasn't eaten anything I would be concerned about that I have seen.

Imogen, the hacking you are describing is consistent with an upper respiratory infection. Basically, he has a dog cold. The forceful hacking/gagging is secondary to the inflammation in the upper airway and often will lead to vomiting. This can be caused by viruses or bacteria.

I would recommend a hands-exam with your family veterinarian to auscultate his heart and lungs, he may also need antibiotics. In the meantime, start him on Robitussin DM (cough) 1/2 teaspoon every 6-8 hours for the next week. Limit physical activity (no running) as this will promote the hacking/gagging.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter