nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My son's dog which I look after can only eat chicken and

My son's dog which I look after can only eat chicken and rice and even then cab bring up froth and slime. My vet thought an xray would be too stressful and gave medication for an infection which worked for a while. I tried wholemeal biscuits with chicken and rice to fill him up but he then throws up several times he gobbles his food and is thin.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 10 months ago.

Hi there Kay,

Thanks for your question regarding your son's dog George. Has the local vet run a full blood test on George? Has there been any other imaging (like ultrasound) done?

I will wait to hear from you.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My vet thought that putting george to sleep so they could take bloods and xray would cause him unnecessary stress. He is a very large Herman shepherd and needs to be muzzled to be examined. My son who is very strong struggles to hold his head during examination. His hips are displaced and I have struggled to brush him for the last year.
Expert:  nekovet replied 10 months ago.

Hello, it appears Dr E. has opted out of your question.

If you would still like help with George, can you tell me what medication his vet started?

Is he still vomiting even despite this?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am taking george to my vets this morning and they will probably give him antibiotics. I will let u know name of them.
Expert:  nekovet replied 10 months ago.

Please do let me know. Also if he is nauseous and vomiting, it would be prudent to speak to them about anti-nausea treatment like Zofran, Cerenia, or Metoclopramide. All are injectable or they can dispense oral versions to use at home. Or at the very least, we may need to start an antacid (ie Zantac or Pepcid) to try to soothe his stomach so he can keep this diet down but also get that nausea settled in general for him.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi. Vet gave one weeks course of metro Bacton and an antacid. We all agreed that at his age it wasn't worth the stress of more treatment. Antacid was rani tidiness. Many thanks for your reply.
Expert:  nekovet replied 10 months ago.

Hi again,

I am glad to hear that they did cover bases with the antacid (Ranitidine which is Zantac). See how he does with this and the antibiotic, but if that nausea continues those other stronger options can be added to these treatments if needed.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
YoU have been very helpful and I am most grateful. Many thanks
Expert:  nekovet replied 10 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

All the best for you both,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience: Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.