nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 13 yr old beautiful German Shepard appears to have a

My 13 yr old beautiful German Shepard appears to have a small tumour on her outer lip lower jaw. It has been visible for about three weeks but not troubled her. It now has a crack on the surface showing slight sign of bleeding . She eats well and her toilets are normal. Her back legs are weak due to some hip displacing but she manages a good free walk every day for about an hour. I need advice pre vet visit. Is she in pain? Am I prolonging her misery ? T
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 10 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

In regards ***** ***** question, she likely has irritation with this mass ulcerating her skin, but it won't be causing severe pain. And if it is on just the lip and not attached to underlying structures, your vet may be able to remove it before it can grow any more. As well, they can start dog safe anti-inflammatories (ie Metacam, Onsior, Rimadyl, etc) to reduce the size of the lump but also keep her back legs comfortable despite this all too common hip issue with this breed. So, it does not sound like she is in severe discomfort and euthanasia is necessary. Instead, she just sound like she needs a bit of care in her older age to nip that mass in the bud and keep her mobility at optimum.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )