nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Naive newish owners we are, we gave our German shep/husky

hi! naive newish owners we are, we gave our German shep/husky 30kg pup a cooked pork bone. he loved it. he's been REALLY tired all day after a fun dog show all day yesterday, very busy boy...appetite seems usual, and he has pooped as normal... but he has just vomited on a short walk.so unsure if this has caused any problems? there was no blood in the poop or the vomit. I can rub his belly all over and he doesn't show any signs of discomfort.
thank you!
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  nekovet replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today.

Now when our dogs eat bones, we do always need to tread with care. Cooked bones run the risk of breaking into shards that can damage the stomach, cause blockages in the GI and cause nausea. Its great he doesn't have any of those adverse signs but it would be best to start some supportive care to reduce nausea and protect his gut.

To start, f he hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest the stomach for a few hours first), you can consider treating with an OTC pet safe antacid like Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Milk of Magnesia (0.5tsp every 12 hours). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Afterwards, we will want to start him on small meals of bland food (ie cooked rice with boiled chicken/white fish or scrambled egg) for the next few days. Whichever you choose, you consider adding a spoonful of canned pumpkin to the meals. The fiber in the pumpkin will caot and encourage any bone shards to move through the GI. As well, cat hairball treatment or a GI lubricant (ie Latulose, Miralax, food grade mineral oil) can also be added to these meals to help any present slip through.

While encouraging passage of this material, you do want to keep a close eye on him. Further to what you have checked, we need to keep an eye out for pale gums, straining to pass feces, passing blood in vomit or stools, appetite loss, restlessness, or black feces. If you did see any of these; then those are all red flags of a possible blockage or trauma and would require him to be seen urgently by your vet for an exam +/- xray.

Overall, we do always have to tread with care in situations like this. It is quite possible these signs are from the bone. So, at this stage and in this situation, we’d want to use the above steps to encourage this to pass while we keep a close eye on him. If we can do this for the next 48 hours and see no issue, then we'd suspect we are out of the woods. Of course, if we did see any of those worrying signs, we’d be concerned and need him seen urgently.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
hey Dr B, thanks so much for this. he's definitely still got his appetite which is a great sign and we've been giving him plain food today instead his usual facilities treats. feeling very silly - left him supervised with my partner who got too absorbed in a video game and suddenly it was gone! I'll keep a very close eye over the night and may even get him booked into the vet tomorrow just to be on the very safe side.thanks again for the reassurance.Gemma & Oscar
Expert:  nekovet replied 4 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

I am glad I could of assistance and give you peace of mind. That sounds like a perfect plan of action and hopefully we can avoid any issue for him.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience: Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.