Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My 8 week old male boxer (9 lbs) has a bad case of round

Customer Question

My 8 week old male boxer (9 lbs) has a bad case of round worms. I gave him 5 mls of pyrental palmoate yesterday and he is passing the worms. Today he is lethargic. He is eating and drinking but not as much as usual. He seems fine (playful) when he is awake. How long does it take to pass all the worms and should I be worried about the lethargy?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

The pyrantel is a good and safe choice as a roundwormer. As with most of the wormers, however, it's mostly effective against the adult roundworms which is why you'll need to reworm Cruise in two weeks when the larval roundworms have matured into adults. You're going to see him become more and more active and puppy-like when these adults are removed over a period of 36 hours post-worming. He already sounds as if he's doing nicely. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.