Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have found fleas on my dog she is 45 days pregnant and now

Customer Question

I have found fleas on my dog she is 45 days pregnant and now being told it will harm the unborn puppies ? What will it do to them ?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. It is unlikely that the fleas themselves will cause a problem with the puppies. A severe flea infestation can cause severe anemia to Coco, which can affect the puppies. Fleas can transmit other blood borne infections, such as Bartonellosis (Cat Scratch Fever) and Plague, but these aren't very common and would make Coco sick as well. Many, many pregnant dogs have fleas with no ill effects on the puppies, but I would try to get them under control before the puppies are born. Frontline is labeled as safe for pregnant and nursing dogs. I would start that and also treat the yard and home for fleas. I would be more concerned about the fleas affecting the puppies after they are born. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I was following up to see how Coco is doing and to see if you have any further questions.