nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog in the last 24 hours has defecated and urinated in

My dog in the last 24 hours has defecated and urinated in the house several times contrary to her normal behaviour. She is 2 1/2 years old. She has just coughed/vomited bright yellow fluid with air bubbles. Do I need to take her to my vet or just starve her for 24 hours?
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 10 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Was her stool runny or diarrhea?

What did her urine look like? Watery, dark, large or small volumes?

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could she have eaten anything she should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Stools slightly looser than usual, urine normal in colour and volume/frequency
Drinking normally
Gums no difference in appearance
No abdominal tenderness, tensing etc
Possibility that she could have chewed a soft rubber toy, ar ball and a piece has become detached and swallowed. No human meds likely
Expert:  nekovet replied 10 months ago.

Now we need to tread with care with Ruby. Her vomiting bile and looser stools support a gut upset but don't explain her urinary accidents. We can sometimes see these when dogs are feeling generally unwell, but if there is any chance of toxicity then we'd want to have her seen. Otherwise, we can focus on the GI signs and their most common triggers. Specifically, we can see these with bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, general dietary indiscretions, and again ingestion of harmful items (ie toxins, plants, non-edible items).

With this all in mind, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle her stomach. To start, if she hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest her stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating her with an antacid. Common OTC pet safe options would be: Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if you give this and she cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from her vet.

Once that has had time to absorb and she is steadier on her stomach, you can consider starting her on a easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and help settle her stools. You can also add fiber (ie canned pumpkin, all bran) to these meals to help bulk up her stools quicker. As well, an OTC canine probiotic would be of benefit for supporting her gut. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning her slowly back to her normal diet.

Overall, there are a wide range of agents could trigger the signs we are seeing with Ruby. We don't need to starve her for 24 hours, but can rest her stomach and then start the above. Though any more vomiting or if she continues to pass urine in the house, then a check up would be ideal so that her vet can assess her hydration, rule out fever, test a urine sample and ensure there's nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat her with injectable anti-nausea medication and antibiotics to settle this and get her back feeling like herself.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks, that's very helpful. Kind regards, Ian