Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog keeps licking his paws. It started with a front paw

My dog keeps licking his paws. It started with a front paw and The vet gave me steroids and cream which worked but now he is chewing a back paw. I think it may be an allergy as he doesn't seem to be in any pain, he is normally a happy friendly dog but has become very aggressive at the vets so trying to avoid visits if possible.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Are you seeing any sores on his paws?

2- Is he itchy in other places?

3- How much does he weigh?

4- Any pre existing medical conditions?

5- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It doesn't have any sores but back paw is starting to weep a little which also happened with the front paw. He is scratching a little more than normal and rolling around a lot when out in open places. He is 12kg and doesn't have any other problems. He currently let's me touch back paw which he didn't let me or the vet do when it was the front paw last month. The front paw seems completely fine now but still has staining front him licking it.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for answering my questions. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

You are right to suspect allergies (food or environmental) for his excessive licking/gnawing of the paws. I know how frustrating this can be for him and you, I am sorry. I am going to make some recommendation if no improvement I would discuss with your vet about a prescription food called z/d and possibly the use of a medication apoquel. In the meantime, this is what you can try:

1- Change his diet to a grain free diet with a different source of protein than what he normally has had in the past. For example: If he seldom ate fish then put him on a food that has fish. When on this diet he should not eat anything else or he will not improve. Needs to be on this diet for 6-8 weeks before you see significant improvement. No people food, for treats you can give veggies like broccoli, baby carrots, cauliflower, etc.

2- Start him on Benadryl (diphenhydramine) 25mg every 12 hours. You can buy Benadryl (diphenhydramine) over the counter in any pharmacy (shemist).

3- Supplement with Eicosaderm (omega 3 fatty acids); you can buy this over the counter in any pet store or online. Give at label dose.

For the paws this is what you can do:

1- Need to stop him from licking or he is going to delay healing. Pick up an E-collar (cone) in your local pet store to stop him from licking/gnawing the affected area.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Wash area with this soap 2-3 times a day. If you do not find the above soap use over the counter antibacterial soap.

3- After washing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days. You can buy this over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist)

4- If no significant improvement after doing the above, follow up with your family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's great, thank you. I'll try out what you've told me and hopefully it works. He is currently on wainwright's dry food do you think I should change this?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

If he has been on this food for more than 8 weeks I would definitely try a different food; go for grain free with a protein that he normally has eaten before like fish, venison, rabbit, etc.

You're welcome.