Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog has been vomiting all night. He doesn't want to drink

Customer Question

My dog has been vomiting all night. He doesn't want to drink or eat and every hour keeps wrenching as if he needs to throw up but nothing comes up.
What should I do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. John replied 3 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately if you have responded back to me within 10 minutes of my response. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

Was there any change in diet, new treats, given human food or gotten into the trash or anything else before this started?

Does his abdomen seem distended?

What color are his gums?

If you press into his abdomen from both sides at the same time, is he painful or uncomfortable?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No change in diet. seem to happen over night.
Abdomen not noticeably swollen.
His gums are pink.
And no noticeable pain when pressing on abdomen.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for the information. It would be impossible to say what the exact cause of the vomiting is. It could be anything from something he ate to a liver problem, pancreatic problem, kidney problem or a foreign body obstruction. If he is vomiting every hour, the best course of action would be to have him seen by your nearest emergency vet tonight. At the very least they can give him something to help stop the nausea. He probably needs some fluid therapy as well because that much vomiting usually ends in dehydration. You can try giving some Pepcid (2.5 mg per 10 lbs daily) or even Pepto (as long as there is no blood in the vomit - 1 teaspoon per 20 lbs every 4-6 hours), but if the vomiting continues past that, he is not eating, he has bloody stools or he has abdominal pain; he really needs to be seen by a vet ASAP. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
When I say he is vomiting every hour he is not vomiting anything up just retching as if he needs to throw up.
He was sick once yesterday morning. This was a small a amount. Yesterday he ate a small amount of wet food. Last night he threw up once it appeared to be the food that he ate yesterday. Since then as i said it is just retching
Expert:  Dr. John replied 3 months ago.

Thanks. It sounds like there is nothing left in his stomach. There is still cause to be concerned about a foreign body obstruction, toxin ingestion or a pancreatitis. You can try the Pepcid or the Pepto Bismol (those should be available in the UK as far as I know). That would be an equivalent generic famotidine or bismuch subsalicylate medication, respectively. If that retching continues, he will probably need something stronger from the vet to stop the nausea, and he may need some blood work and/or x-rays to make sure nothing more serious is going on. Please let me know if you have further questions.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 2 months ago.

Hello. I was following up to see how your Cockapoo is doing and to see if you have any further questions.