Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My 5 pound dog Kayla has not gone pooh for 9 days. I am away

Customer Question

Hi. My 5 pound dog Kayla has not gone pooh for 9 days. I am away and she is being cared for by my daughter. Kayla went to the vet on Wed last week and had a blood test. The test was OK. The vet did not want to see Kayla again and said to feed her roast chicken with rice and vegetable broth and just wait. Often Kayla doesn't eat much when I am away. She is eating very little. I am worried that she will suddenly become very ill. Am I worrying unnecessarily? Thank you
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Kayla is not eating much and has not eaten much for 9 days. She is not drinking a lot. She is quite frisky and I am told that she is happy. It is about 30 degrees where we live so she may be uncomfortably hot. She ordinarily eats once a day. She is eating about 20% of what she ordinarily does -- and this is now day 9 of this. What is the best care for Kayla now? How long should we wait before taking her to a vet again. Can you please answer me 2 hours?? When I gave my credit card information the page said an answer in 30 minutes. thank you.
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Kayla, please?

I can understand not having as frequent bowel movements because she's been inappetent but having none in 9 days is going to leave my patient obstipated - severely constipated - even if she weren't ill to begin with and her not moving her bowels was due to a behavioral problem instead. I would X-ray her abdomen at the time to see if she needs help defecating in the form of enemas.