I am sorry to hear what happened. How many pieces of gum could he have chewed?
The first sign of xylitol toxicity is low blood sugar. That can be followed with liver damage, which you may not see right away. If this were my own dog, I would be checked his blood sugar over the next few hours (blood test), and check liver values in 12 to 24 hours.
If you chose to watch him at home, watch for signs of low blood sugar: confusion, vomiting, weakness, pale gums.
It is hard to calculate how much xylitol is in a piece of chewing gum, it is very variable from one brand to another. A small amount of xylitol can kill a small dog, so I tend to be cautious anytime a dog gets sugarless gum.
One thing to check is how high on the list the xylitol is. If it is the first ingredient, this could be enough xylitol to be dangerous.
It may be up to 12 hours before you see the symptoms of vomiting, weakness, lethargy, etc.
The recommendation by ASPCA veterinary poison control is that any dog that got any xylitol be examined by a veterinarian, as soon as possible. Better to be proactive than wait to see if symptoms develop.
Please let me know how he is doing, if my responses have been helpful, and what other questions you have.
It can be up to 12 hours before symptoms appear, according to my research. It depends on how much is eaten, how big the dog is, etc.
I have also read that some dogs never get the low blood sugar, but do develop the life threatening liver problems.
If it has been only 2 hours, I would not yet assume he is OK. If this were my own dog, I would have him at the clinic, checking his blood sugar, at the least.
It might make a difference, but that depends on how much xylitol is in the gum, which varies widely. Some gums have 1000 mg per stick, and just chewing a stick with that much could cause problems. Other gums have less than 1 mg.
You are welcome.
Just monitor him and keep him eating to keep his blood sugar level up.
Have his liver values and blood sugar checked as soon as you can. If they remain normal, he did not get a toxic dose of xylitol.
Great! Let me know how he is doing. Thanks for the great rating.