Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My collie is 12 years old and has been on propalin for years

Hi. My collie is 12 years old and has been on propalin for years with mainly successful outcome. One month ago she had a viral illness with vomiting and diarrhoea. She had a all amount of malena at the time. She was given a steroid amd antibiotic injection. She had salazopyrine for 5 days and two buscopan over a couple of days. She has recovered her form but is drinking more tgan usual her bloods were fairly normal but liver enzymes were slightly raised. Her urinalysis was normal. She is completly incontinent of urine now. Even as she walks she leaks. Is there anything i can do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.

Hello, thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Is Jessie still getting steroids? That can cause a dog to produce more urine, and to leak urine.

Increased thirst can cause urine leaking. If the dog is drinking more that makes more urine and in older dogs that can cause urine leakage. So I would try to discover why she is drinking more. How long ago were the blood tests done? It would help to see them, to see which (there are more than a few) liver enzymes were raised, what the kidney numbers and the albumin number was.

The urinalysis results would also interest me: what was the concentration/specific gravity? Was there any protein, even a trace, in the urine?

The things that cause increased drinking do not all show up on a basic blood panel. Cushing's disease (hormone dysfunction of adrenals and usually pituitary gland) can cause increased thirst and urine leaking, but a basic blood panel may not tell anything about adrenal function. All you might see is an elevated liver enzyme called Alk Phos, or SAP, or ALKP.

A condition called DI, diabetes insipidus (not the diabetes that needs insulin, that is diabetes mellitus) can cause this kind of urine leakage, from an inablility to concentrate the urine resulting in a large volume of very dilute urine. This will not show up on any normal blood tests. There are multiple causes of DI.

I would be curious to know her blood calcium level; high calcium can cause increased thirst.

The best way to proceed is to find out why she is drinking more, and that means more testing. I would not limit her water, she may need to drink more even though it results in her leaking urine.

I am cautious using propalin in older dogs; there can be a small risk of stroke from increased blood pressure.

Let me know what other questions I can answer.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you Rebecca. I will check her urine again for specific gravity. It is so sad to see her like this. Beinh a collie she is sensitive about it. I keep her water supply topped up at all times. She has lost a good abput 2 kgs in weight over last few months but is in great form. Happy and apart from tge incontinence not in any distress. I will ask my vet to look into the above suggestions. Thank you for your advice. Olive
Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.

You are welcome. Check for protein in the urine as well.

Thanks for the great rating.