Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I'm wondering if you can help me. My dog was being sick last

Hi I'm wondering if you can help me.
My dog was being sick last night at least once every hour.
Today he has been very quiet and struggling to poo.
He has just again started being sick I dint know what to do?
Thank you Katie
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Katie, I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on your KCCS please?

Unfortunately, it's very difficult to help a vomiting dog because anything you might give orally is likely to come right back up. In fact, not doing is the usual recommendation. In other words, my patient is fasted for up to 12 hours following the last vomiting episode but water is left down. If drinking induces more vomiting, ice cubes for him to lick should replace his water. If vomiting is intractable, a vet needs to inject an antiemetic and antacid. Even drugs shouldn't be given orally at that time.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.