Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My dog fell out a window over a week ago, as a result he has

My dog fell out a window over a week ago, as a result he has fractured his femur, I have an x ray photo available but not sure how to attach it. The only option that I can afford atm is FHO, but I am really worried that it will not help him as he will probably grow to be quite big. He is limping but putting weight on the leg, has no issues going up/down stairs, wants to play but I am trying to keep him calm. I consulted another vet and they said to leave it and ensure that he rests a lot. I booked the FHO but is this the right thing to do ? Thanks
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
x ray attached
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Kate, I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. The image of the X-ray arrived the size of a postage stamp and so it's difficult for me to assess that hip properly. In general, if the femoral head fracture is well-aligned, you have the option of simply resting Fluffy because these bones can re-attach. Also, it's "old thinking" that larger dogs don't do well after an FHO. We're shown that larger breeds can do very well after an FHO. I'd like to be more accurate for you but I'll need to see an image that can be enlarged without losing resolution - in other words, a high pixel image.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you, ***** ***** image better ?

Yes, thank you! It appears that avascular necrosis - lack of blood supply and bone death - is occurring in that femoral head. That won't allow "watchful waiting" for healing to occur. FHO, then, makes sense. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay thank you, ***** ***** go ahead with the FHO .
Can you just let me know How quickly he is likely recover (I understand it varies), will he be able to walk, run and jump after some time. He was such a happy and energetic puppy , I want him to enjoy life.

You'll be amazed how quickly he returns to function. He'll be a bit "sloppy" at first but will adjust quickly. If he goes home on a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) and narcotic analgesic - as he should - he should do nicely within 3 weeks. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you :)

It's my pleasure. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.