Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My 11 week old Zuchon puppy isn't eating very much. Been

My 11 week old Zuchon puppy isn't eating very much.
Been feeding him on the Royal Canin the breeder was feeding him, with the addition of a little water, as the dry kibble he has no interest in, but again with no interest.
I yesterday and this morning mixed the kibble with scrambled egg which he really enjoyed, but I am unsure if it would be OK to continue doing this.
How many and for how long?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 10 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb.

I recently came online and see that your question about Garvey hasn't been answered. I'm so sorry that you've had to wait for a response, but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can.

I'm sorry for this concern about Garvey but it's actually a fairly commonly seen one in small breed dogs...puppies and adults alike.

If he's otherwise active and energetic with no vomiting or diarrhea, then adding more palatable food items to his kibble is something that I often advise owners to do. Some breeds are just more food oriented than others and it can often be a challenge to find foods which they'll eat for those who aren't.

I wouldn't have any problems with adding about 1/2 or one whole scrambled egg to his kibble if he likes it; the added protein isn't likely to cause any issues for him. Eventually he may reject it as well which wouldn't be unusual so I have a few additional suggestions of things you can try.

1. I don't know if you'd want to feed canned or semi-moist food but many dogs find these foods tastier than kibble.

2. Adding a small amount of yogurt is safe and can be given long term.

3. There are canine specific "sauces" available at pet/grain stores which can add palatability to dry food.

4. I'd be hesitant to add boiled chicken or hamburg (or something similar) since you may find that he picks it out and leaves the kibble. It's best to find something which coats the kibble rather than is entirely separate from it if that makes sense.

5. I might also try a different brand/flavor of kibble which he may prefer over his current food.

I hope this helps although, again, my apologies for the delayed reply. Deb