Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My rehomed dog -I have had her 10 months - is now 2 and a

My rehomed dog -I have had her 10 months - is now 2 and a half. She was very aggressive to people she didn't know and to other dogs. I have worked hard with her and she has improved but she is still unpredictable and will, for no reason, become aggressive towards people and dogs. There is no obvious pattern or trigger. Recently, I have changed jobs and organised dog care as I would be out all day. The arrangements have fallen apart a number of times because of my dog's aggression. Today she attacked another dog and bit it making it bleed. We have been attending socialisation classes for 7 months now but she is still unpredictable. The dog behaviourist says I am doing the right things but as I can't predict when she will be agressive, it is hard to address. I can't keep her on a lead all her life as she needs to run. My dog took many months to settle with me and I can't put her through that. She can't have much of a life if I can't get people to walk her because she is unpredictable. I love her very much but cannot see a solution that gives her a nice life. I would rather she was put down than went into a rescue centre. Would a vet do this to a healthy dog if I asked? I don't know what to do.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. If a dog poses a direct threat to humans and cannot be trusting even being re-homed in a new environment, then many vets would absolutely consider euthanasia and a viable option. Some ethics do come into play here because if not done, the next person that Lucy does attack may be seriously injured. I will say that some vets may want to make sure that you have done all you can with socialization, and that may include getting a consult with a veterinary behaviorist (this is actually a veterinarian with a specialized degree in behavior medicine, not just a dog trainer. The problem is that there are not a lot of board certified veterinary behaviorists out, and there may not even be one near you. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She hasn't bitten a person just another dog. How would a vet see this? And what more socialisation could I do?
Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 months ago.

I am sorry. I thought you mentioned that she was aggressive towards people as well. If she is just aggressive to other dogs and not people, then there may be a lot of vets who wouldn't consider euthanizing her because there are other options. They may recommend keeping her at home during the day and even putting her in a confined area or kennel if you don't want her roaming free (many, many dogs have to do this and get a long just fine) or keeping her in your backyard (assuming you live in a house) during the day, assuming it is not too hot during the summer. I will say that I have never euthanized a dog for just dog aggression, just for unpredictable aggression to people, specifically family members. A veterinary behaviorist has a lot more training with these types of behavioral issues and are better equipped to handle them then a dog trainer would be. Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She barks aggressively at people but doesn't bite them. Is it only aggression to people that would result in her being put down?
Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 months ago.

I think for most vets that may be the case, but there are more than likely some out there that would still put her down for aggression issues with other dogs. It may be worth it to try calling around to some vets in your area to see who would be willing to do that. Let me know if you have further concerns.

Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience: Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience