Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My sister has bought a female pug today and there now seems

hi my sister has bought a female pug today and there now seems to be a sort of pile coming from its anus we are taking her to the vet tomorrow but are unsure if we should immediately
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

No, an on-call vet isn't usually necessary for anything of that nature. Dogs don't suffer from piles/hemorrhoids but do experience rectal prolapse and anal swelling secondary to diarrhea/straining or perhaps anal sac gland impaction/infection. Can you upload a photo(s) of this to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see that icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
thankyou dr salkin, i have attached a photo your opinion would be greatly appreciated thank you

Thank you! This appears to be a perianal adenoma (benign glandular growth) but if it truly arose peracutely (suddenly) it would represent anal hyperplasia (benign swelling) associated with straining to defecate (tenesmus). How old is she, please? An adenoma isn't expected in the young dog.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
thank you dr, she is only 8 weeks old it doesnt seem to be causing her much discomfort

We can forget about an adenoma! This represents anal hyperplasia usually addressed by correcting diarrhea if present and applying a steroid-containing ointment every few hours to that area. Her vet has potent ointments of that nature. You can apply over the counter hydrocortisone creams until she's attended to by her vet. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
thats fine dr salkin i just wanted to put my sisters mind at ease as she was worried! thank you very much for your advice appreciate it
best regards

You're a good sister! You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.