Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog has been having diarrhoea the past 2 days. Tonight I

My dog has been having diarrhoea the past 2 days. Tonight I seen there was blood in his stool. He hasn't been himself lately and has been whimpering alot at nightime. He also at about 5 squares of After Eight chocolate the other night but showed no signs he was ill until Saturday. Im extremely worried about him and would love some advice.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has it been since he ate the chocolate?

2- Any vomiting?

3- Besides the chocolate did he get into anything else?

4- Is he lethargic?

5- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He ate the chocolate Friday morning.
I havnt seen any vommitting around the house from him.
He gets his paws into everything, he also eats alot of dirt and grass from the backyard.
He's normally a very energetic dog but tonight he has been asleep for the past 2 and a half hours which is really unusual.
Only other symptom I have noticed is that his ears have been really smelly even though he only got groomed last Tuesday
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

1- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?

2- Any discharge, redness, etc. in his ears?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His gums are a pale pinky colour and there is no redness or discharge coming from his ears
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for answering my questions. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no problem thanks very much
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Stephanie, I am sorry Bailey is not feeling well, I am sure you must be worried. In response to your question, when we see diarrhea with streaks of blood this is a sign of inflammation in the colon (large intestines). This is not related to the chocolate he ate on Friday, the chocolate should not be an issue by now. The odor in the ears is not related either. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing. But, common causes are dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, parasites, etc. to name a few causes. Unfortunately, on history only it will be difficult to determine the exact underlying cause, I am sorry. In this case, I would recommend a hands-on examination with your family veterinarian and a fecal analysis as an initial screening test. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. You see, stopping diarrhea with medication can make things worst if this is related to an infection or ingestion of a foreign body.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours, need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer a small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean him back into his regular diet. Keep him indoors in a cool room and no exercise when fasting.

3- Supplement with a probiotic, these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity and inflammation. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. If cost is a concern look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks very much Dr will get him to a vet tomorrow