Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My dog hurt her leg when she was a pup and the vet said he

Customer Question

My dog hurt her leg when she was a pup and the vet said he could have put pin in it but her leg wouldn't grow or something like that but he just strapped it with a bandage, now she is about 7 year old and when she lying down then gets up to walk to another room she is limping sometimes she hops on it, when she goes out a walk she seems to be fine, I just wondered if you could give me some advice on what to do.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. To better understand if your dog's current lameness is related to her injury 7 years ago, her vet would need to carefully palpate (feel) the affected bones of the injured leg and perform flexion and extension tests on all of the joints in that leg. X-rays would be required to visualize the fracture site and to see if it now involves a joint or, less likely, has become neoplastic (cancerous). Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.