nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My top dog is very itchy biting his skin I seem to remember

My ***** ***** top dog is very itchy biting his skin I seem to remember it happened at the same time last year. It is not fleas could it be an allergy I feed him on Burns fish and rice
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

If your lad is prone to itching this time of year and has had no diet changes, then dietary protein allergies nor fleas would be our top suspects here. As well, as you noted no changes to the skin, we’d be less concerned about bacterial pyodermas or fungal infections. Instead, this does sound highly suspicious of a seasonal allergy.

Therefore, further to bathing, you may want to consider a trial on an OTC antihistamine. Most commonly we use Piriton/Chlorphenamine ( 4-8mg every 12 hours) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We do like to keep the dose low to start since it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, these shouldn't be used if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first. Of course if his itching is severe, then you could have his vet try him with a stronger option like Atopica, Apoqeul, or steroids. And as this is seasonal, its likely he’d only need treating this time of year to keep his skin settled and keep him comfortable.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.