Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

My dog is lethargic not eating discharge from penis.

Customer Question

My dog is lethargic not eating discharge from penis. Unsteady on his back legs still drinking. Taken him to be checked was given steroid injection. Was better for couple of days now poorly again. Poo appears normal.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 10 months ago.

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 10 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue.

What does the discharge look like? Were any antibiotics given? Is your dog neutered?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Discharge yellow, no not neutered, no antibiotics

Okay, sorry for the delay.

This could be a case of an infection in the penis itself, or a urinary tract infection, or a case of prostatitis (infection in the prostate). Steroids is not an approriate way to treat any of those, so I recommend seeing a veterinarian to get on a course of antibiotics. That would be the best way to resolve this. There isn't much you can do to treat this at home without antibiotics due to the location. Sounds like it is making him pretty uncomfortable since he is not eating and unsteady on his back legs, so I would see a vet soon. Maybe the vet you saw before would prescribe antibiotics over the phone without having to see him again... give them a call.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Bonuses are not necessary, but are appreciated, as they go directly to me rather than to the website. Best of luck.

Any updates for me? Have you seen a vet again? Just checking in...

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My baby died .Your advise did nothing to help him. I answered all your questions!. My advise leave this website alone. Save your money for the real vets. You cost hours that could have saved him. Now leave desperate people alone. People with limited finances who thinly you are the answer
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Rubbish advise let my baby die

I am so sorry to hear this! I recommended you see a veterinarian soon to get on antibiotics, and I told you it was inappropriate to have treated with a steroid. I am not sure what else I could have told you, but the purpose of this site is not to replace an actual veterinary exam. I am so sorry for your loss.

I just tried calling you and no one answered. I will try again a bit later.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have not been anywhere***********please try again I need answers

The number you gave the website is 441692652211. I am not allowed to dial you, it must go through the site itself. You will need to change your contact info through the site before I can call you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Don't use this service I've not had a call and I paid. Waiting nothing. Keep away Heartbroken lost my boy because of this advise
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have sent new details call
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
sorry for my anger! You gave me peace and reassured me that I could do nothing for my sweet boy. Your kindness despite my nasty comments is a relief. And your genuine sympathy for my pain.I retract worth every penny. Sorry just angry at my loss.

I understand, and I hope that you find peace with regard to his death. Take care.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Again my anger is because of my loss. Your diagnosis based on my answers could not have seen the outcome and neither could we.

Take care.