Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

I have a Shitsu that spends a lot of the day in the house

I have a Shitsu that spends a lot of the day in the house (apart from walks) but had started to bark at night when left alone downstairs. To resolve this I put her bed in our (timber) garden shed and put her in it at night-time. She does not seem to mind this routine and follows me down the garden without objecting every night at bed-time. However I'm a little concerned about doing this in winter. Leaving her in the house is impossible. Would a coat be sufficient to keep her comfortable in her bed in the garden shed?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 10 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue.

I am concerned about keeping a shih tsu outside at night in general. These are house dogs, companion dogs. I understand your dilemma, but I can assure you that a coat would NOT be enough to keep her warm out there. WHat about trying to treat the underlying cause, which is likely anxiety (separation anxiety)? I recommend having your vet prescribe Xanax and give it an hour before bedtime. If that doesn't help, or you do not want to try that, you can try purchasing a pheromone collar from a pet store that releases a pheromone that calms and soothes dogs and can help with anxiety. As a last resort, I would consider a shock collar that shocks her when she barks... she would learn very quickly not to bark, and that may solve your problem. I am sure she would much prefer to be a dog sleeping in the house wearing a shock collar than a dog sleeping outside in the bitter cold. Shih tsus are not built to withstand that kind of cold.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Bonuses are not necessary, but are appreciated, as they go directly to me rather than to the website. Best of luck.