nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

There's a tiny amount of blood in puppy poo. Took her to vet

There's a tiny amount of blood in puppy poo. Took her to vet and gave her three doses of promax over last three days plus a tin of purina proplan vet diet . All ok last night but a spot of blood again this morning. She is putting on weight and very lively with no temperature. She is 13 weeks old. Vet said it could be ibs. What food should I give her?
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 10 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

In regards ***** ***** question, we'd be best to use a easily digestible light diet for her like Hills I/D or Royal Canin's Gastrointestinal or Sensitivity Control. While these aren't puppy foods they are a better short term option for one this young then homemade diets (since they won't have important vitamins/minerals).

Otherwise, I do have to say that IBS is very uncommon in a pup this young. Instead, these scant bits of blood could be related to worms, protozoa, or even colitis (from a dietary sensitivity or bacterial infection). Therefore, before we assume it is IBS, you will want to try a light diet, worm her if she hasn't been wormed in the past 4 weeks (Panacur would be a good option since it does cover against some protozoa too) and consider having her vet test a stool sample. That way we can see which of those more common infections agents are present and ensure we are treating those before we fret about IBS.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Just to follow up, I didn't manage to get to the shops to buy the food you recommended so I tried Morrisons Chicken with Rice Pate for puppies plus some cooked chicken. I notice that the poo is runny but the blood is only a few light red spots at the end once she has strained. Do you still advise the same course of action?