nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My Bichpoo puppy Milo, is 15 weeks old. On Friday evening he

Hi, my Bichpoo puppy Milo, is 15 weeks old. On Friday evening he started retching foamy yellowy stuff. Since then he has retched once during the day and once in the middle of the night. Generally he is fine. He eats his food, drinks water and shows not symptoms of being sick. What could cause this. He has been fine all along.
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 10 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Can he keep water down?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Has he had any diarrhea?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi, his gums are pink and his belly is not tender.
He drinks as normal, no problems there.
No diarrhoea
He does rip leaves off plants as he walks by them but doesn't actually chew them as far as I've noticed.
He chews twigs etc when I don't notice. He did however have a hide chewy which I don't see anymore. Could he have swallowed that?
Expert:  nekovet replied 10 months ago.

Now I am glad to hear that Milo isn't showing any of those worrisome signs, but if the hide chew has gone missing its quite possible that this is causing the signs we are seeing. This is because while it is digestible in stomach acid, it can take 3-5 days to do so. Therefore, if he had a big piece or ate quite a bit in one go, it could be sitting in the stomach causing intermittent nausea for him. Of course, we'd also have to keep a mild gut infection pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, or general dietary indiscretion in the back of our minds as well.

With this all in mind and since his signs are mild, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle his stomach. To start, if he hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest the stomach for a few hours first), you can consider treating with an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

As well, we can plan to start him on small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Fiber (ie canned or boiled pumpkin, weetabix, etc) can also be added to this to just help push any chew present in the stomach through the gut and out the other end. As well, OTC cat hairball treatment can be used as a mild GI lubricant to facilitate that as well.

While monitoring and using the above, do keep a close eye on him. Specifically, we need to keep an eye out for any belly tenderness or pain when you press on his stomach, pale gums, straining to pass feces, passing blood in vomit or stools, appetite loss, restlessness, or black feces. If you did see any of these; then those are all red flags of a possible blockage or trauma from the chew and would require him to be seen urgently by your vet for an exam +/- xray.

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the signs we are seeing but a big piece of chew could cause what we are seeing here. Therefore, since he hasn't any red flag signs and these do digest with time, we can start supportive care to try to settle his stomach. Though if we do see any of those signs or he continues to show signs after the weekend; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can have a feel of his belly to determine if we do have a bit of chew in there. Depending on their findings, they can start him on anti-vomiting medication +/- further symptomatic treatment to get him settled here.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )