nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a siberian Husky, she's roughly 4 years old (we got

I have a siberian Husky, she's roughly 4 years old (we got her from the dogs trust, there not sure on age) shes developed a red almost eczema like patch around her bot***** *****p. What would have caused this and how do I get rid of it
Hayten
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 10 months ago.

Hello & welcome, Hayten. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now if your lass has a red eczema like patch around her bot***** *****p, this raises concerns of a bacterial skin infection. Specifically, we can see superficial skin infections arise here but we can also have deep pyodermas as well. In regards ***** ***** they are often due to the skin around the mouth staying damp and thus creating a favourable environment for skin bacteria. As for treatment, if it is mild, then salt water bathing (1tbsp salt to a pint warm water) 2-3 times a day especially after meals can help reduce this for her. Of course, after bathing the area (or she has a drink), we want to pat the skin dry to again reduce that moist environment here. Otherwise, if it is severe, persistent or causing her bother; then we'd want her local vet to examine her to confirm our suspicions (and rule out more rare issues like fungal infections or genetic/nutritional issues) and start antibiotics. This can be for 1-2 weeks, though do be aware that with severe or deep pyoderma the antibiotic course tends to need to be longer to clear this.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )