Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I have a 15 weeks old puppy. He's been throwing up and had

Hi. I have a 15 weeks old puppy. He's been throwing up and had diarrhoea twice tonight, I think he may have parvo.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 8 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

I am sorry to learn your puppy is not feeling well. My name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Are you seeing any blood in the feces?

2- Is he lethargic?

3- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

4- What breed is he?

5- How much does he weigh?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It was the middle of the night so I couldn't confirm if there was blood. He has been lying down since 5pm, so it's been about seven hours. He didn't eat anything out of the ordinary. He's a pure breed German Shepard and at 12 weeks he did weight 10Kg

1- To make sure I got this right, it has been 7 hours since the last time he vomited and had diarrhea?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No. He vomitted two minutes ago and had diarrhea one hour ago. He has been lying down (trying to sleep) for seven hours,

1- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?

2- Can you take his rectal temperature?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
His gum aren't quite pink, pale-ish purple. I don't have a thermometer and every shop is closed

1- You don't have access to a pharmacy (chemist)?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No, it's almost one in the morning, everything is closed around here. I plan to take him to the vet first thing but that won't be until 8:45am

By any chance do you have an acid reducer at home like Pepcid AC (famotidine), Zantac (ranitidine), etc.?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No it's a new house and I pretty much don't have anything useful.

Thank you for answering all of my questions. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Sure. He's thrown up again so that's six times in two hours

Friend, I am sorry you are going through this with your puppy. In response to your question, yes, you are right; parvo is one of the medical conditions that needs to be ruled out based on the symptoms that you are describing. There are many other medical conditions like ingestion of a foreign body, other types of infections, intestinal parasites, etc. to name a few causes that also need to be ruled out. To determine the exact underlying cause he will need a hands-on examination by your family veterinarian, fecal analysis, blood work and possibly x-rays. Unfortunately, we are somewhat limited as to what you can do at home, I am sorry. But, in any case of vomiting or diarrhea, the first thing to do is give the gastrointestinal tract time to rest. You see, if you start pushing water or food orally he will continue to vomit making things worst. So, once you rest the gastrointestinal tract then you gradually introduce water then food. This is what you can do until he is seen by your family veterinarian in the morning:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium.

2- No food or water for 3-4 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 3-4 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, continue to give small amount of water every hour or so. Keep him off food for 8-12 hours. Then, you can offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination and supportive care (IV fluids, antiemetics, etc.).

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.