Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

Our springer spaniel has suddenly stopped walking and seems

Our springer spaniel has suddenly stopped walking and seems to have a problem with her right hind leg. She isn't crying out with ain when we manipulate her hind legs but just will not get up. At first we thought it was a pulled muscle so gave her a baby aspirin but is now just lying on her rug. Should I get her veterinary assistance immediately or wait until tomorrow?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about your springer.

(typing more)

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

If she were acting otherwise fine and just not bearing weight on the affected leg, it would be okay to wait. However, since she now is refusing to get up, I would advise an emergency visit. Some of the potential causes for symptoms like this can be very serious.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I'm worried this could be due to a back problem, or an overall illness that is causing additional weakness. Either way, if this were just a leg injury, she would be able to carry on normally on the other three legs.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I wish I had better news for you, but it's much better to be safe than sorry.

Does this help to answer your question at this point in time? I want to be as helpful as possible because I know what it's like to worry.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Is there any additional information I can help you with?

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to ask how things are going with your springer spaniel. Is she doing any better?

Dr. Jo

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Much better thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Oh, good! I'm so glad to hear she's on the mend. Did she end up needing treatment or medication, or did she simply get better on her own?

If you are ready to leave the chat, please remember to rate my response on your way out.

Dr. Jo