Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

I have a 10 month old pedigree golden lab called. He is

Customer Question

I have a 10 month old pedigree golden lab called Tom. He is being looked after by my parents as I had to take rented accommodation for a while. My father thinks he only needs dried food and was feeding him two small bowls a day. I saw him at the weekend and he was too thin. All his ribs were showing. I told my father to double the amount but i don't know what the correct amount is.A friend who has dogs also told me that Tom should have some fresh meat. And needs the fat at his age. Is this true?Tom had impacted anal glands when he was about 7 months old. He showed no external signs other than that he smelled terrible. He was treated by a vet and the small vanished. I think it is coming back. I don't know whether the small is coming from the fact that my parents don't wash the bedding ***** *****ves in or if it is Tom. Is there anywhere particular I can smell to check the source? Do anal glands have other symptoms other than smell?The dog scavenges a bit. I told my father I thought he would do this less if he was fed more. Is it normal for lab puppies to eat slugs, plastic wrappers, and everything else, or is it a sign he is hungry?I was treating Tom with Frontline or Advocate flea prevention and worming him, but my father says this is not necessary unless he sees signs of scratching or worms. Is this correct? In the old days, I don't recall people treated their animals with flea and worm prevention - it seems a modern trend.Many thanks
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I'll answer your questions as you presented them...

1) The correct amount of food can be estimated by feeding the recommended amount as posted on the label of the dry food. To be more exact, I can tell you how many kilocalories of food Tom needs daily if you tell me how much he currently weighs.

2) Fresh meat isn't necessary. I'm sure that Tom would like it as a treat, however. A mix of dry and wet food is more palatable but not necessary. He doesn't need additional fat when a balanced commercial food is fed. It has the proper amount of fat, carbohydrates, and protein.

3) Anal glands are vestigial organs (as is the appendix and ear lobes of us) that have no purpose in dogs. Impaction/infection of these glands is common. When this occurs most dogs scoot on their rears, lick their anus, and may express the odiferous exudate more so than usual. You would find the odor of skunk or a metallic odor about his anus.

4) Puppies exhibit exploratory behavior and Labs, in particular, will eat anything that doesn't eat them first. You'll need to puppy proof his home in order to avoid his ingesting things he shouldn't. Excessive pica (ingestion of non-food items) can result from starvation as well.

5) Your father isn't correct. Regular flea prevention and worming is smart - usually monthly. Some flea preventatives also worm your dog; the best are the newest ones available through Tom's vet.

You're welcome. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.