Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog has gone extremely quiet and has a very dry nose he

my dog has gone extremely quiet and has a very dry nose he is sleepy will not move and his gums are very pale he is not eating or drinking he is a daschund and is a year old my other is fine
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 7 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

When a dogs gums are pale that is an indication of one of two things: shock or anemia or both

1.) Shock can be related to ingesting something, viral causes, organ function changes, trauma

2.) Anemia can be due to

- loss due to trauma, hemorrhage into the abdomen, chest, gi tract or even parasites

- reduced production which is a bone marrow issue

- increased destruction which is viral, immune mediated (the body is destroying its own cells) or bacterial to name a few

When the gums are pale and a pet is anemic or in shock that means that the body is not getting proper oxygen to the organs and time is of the essence. This is a true emergency and requires bloodwork to evaluate the level of anemia and if transfusions are necessary to stop the progression of the anemia which can cause organ function failure and death

The lethargy also is concerning because in combination with the pale gums can indicate shock and the need for fluid replacement

Do you have a veterinary er in your area? This is not something that should wait until the morning. If not, then contacting your regular vet phone number and often they will list what to do in case of emergency on the voice mail

I don't mean to frighten you but I do advise a veterinary er tonight. This is not something that can be or should be attempted to be treated at home

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
thank you i shall try to get him seen straight away

You are very welcome, you both are definitely in my thoughts tonight

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you so much I have got sweep into the vets where he is now on a drip and having bloods taken without your help I don't know what would have happend thank you very much

You are very welcome, I would love an update in the morning on how your little one is doing if you don't mind?

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience: Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.