nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Just a quick one my dog has been vomiting frequently over

hi just a quick one my dog has been vomiting frequently over the last week this morning cried from 6am till 7 and was sick 5 times its like thick clear fluid , however this has been happening not as frequent as 5 times in one morning but maybe fortnightly he has been to the et and the wanted to monitor input and output which seems normal he is quite old now and I have growing concern
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How old is he?

What tests and treatments have his vet done?

Can he keep water down?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Has he had any diarrhea?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
he is 14 It was my mum who took him to the vets last and she said the just done a physical examination howeer last time he was having spells of incontinence and seemed to be drinking excessively this has improved and he is only incontinent on rare occasions but I do restrict his water.sometimes he can keep water down sometimes he cannot.
his gums are pinky and are abit stickyI don't think he has eaten anything he shouldn't have his stomach tenses when you touch it.he hasn't had any diarrhoea, he struggles with constipation quite offen
Expert:  nekovet replied 3 months ago.

I have received your reply and will post in full shortly. Please disregard the auto-phone call offer.

Dr. B.

Expert:  nekovet replied 3 months ago.

Hi again,

First, I have to note that you cannot restrict water in dogs. If he has been choosing to drink excessively, that will cause the incontinence but they are both signs of underlying organ or metabolic issues being present. And those need to be addressed since restricting water can cause dehydration, damage organs further, and likely why he also has constipation issues (since his body is having to take more water from the feces then it would usually do). So, water restriction isn't viable and instead you need to have the vet at least check bloods to start getting to the root of this for him.

Now in regards ***** ***** triggers for intermittent progressive vomiting, we do have to consider gut infections, pancreatitis,and general dietary indiscretions. But again at his age and with that further history, this is likely secondary to metabolic or organ issues, cancers, and inflammatory bowel disease.

With this in mind, I will outline some general supportive care but considering this situation we’d want his vet to look into the above as well. Because if we dont' address the underlying issue, we often won't see these guys settle. Now in regards ***** ***** you can try to soothe his stomach with an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), Milk of Magnesia (0.25tsp every 12 hours)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Also if you give this and he cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet or they need to start a stronger prescription option to counter his nausea.

Otherwise, we can try small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only) There are also OTC vet diets (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) that can be used too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to what you normally feed.

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the signs we are seeing. We can see these with infections and minor issues but at his age and with this progressive signs I suspect there is a bigger underlying issue triggering this as a side effect. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to try to settle his stomach but would want his vet to at least check bloods to make sure we don’t have a metabolic or organ issue that would need to be addressed to soothe all his signs.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience: Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.