Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

Paradle V is it safe for my 14 year old dog to be on this

Paradle V is it safe for my 14 year old dog to be on this for 3 weeks?
Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to help us find you the right Expert?
Customer: my dog has fluid around the heart and has had bad arthritis. I would like some advice please.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Is the Paradale V for his arthritis?

Is he on any medication for the fluid around the heart?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the Paradale V for his arthritis and he not on any medication for his heart they said its not enough to go on medication.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
At the moment my dog is eating and drinking playing a little not so much has he use to and can see he slowing down. I am waiting for my vet to do another blood test on him its been 2 months since he had the last one. He been on the paradale V tablets at moment his 12th day he takes half tablet twice daily within 8 hours in
between. He been walking much better and even rolling on his toys he seems a lot happier. He such a different dog each day on these tablets have got better for him. The only problem am worried about side effects.I do trust my vet but its always hard because animals cant talk. I would appreciate your advice and would you of done things differently? thank you so much.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.

Paradale contains paracetamol, which taken over time can cause liver problems in some dogs. If he needs to take it for his arthritis on a regular basis, I would do blood tests to check his liver numbers to be sure that is not happening.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.

I would continue using it, if it helps him this much. I would check his liver and kidney numbers every 6 months.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
ok he will be on these tablets for 3 weeks. I will do blood check. Also with his fluid on his chest he did have the drug called furosemide diuretic tablets and can you get instant kidney problems with this drug? The reason why was because my vet put him on diuretic tablets for his fluid around the chest. Then 3 days after he had kidney problems could the drug of done this in a short space of time?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Can medication damage the kidneys within few days or does it need to be on long term? Thank you.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.

I usually do not expect kidney problems with furosemide or paracetamol. What are the kidney problems?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I was told to put him on hills k/d food because he had kidney problems ever since he went on furosemide. He was only on this for 3 days and became very ill and they told me to take him off it for now. I know he lost weight from 11.4kg to 9.8kg when taking this medication. The vet then told me instead of 1 tablet a day only do half tablet a day. Then she said leave him off it for now. The good thing is he has lost weight. He is now back to 10kg at the moment he his always hungry. I just think it might of been side effects from the medication.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.

It would help to know what his kidney numbers are. I would stop it, if the problems started when he started the furosemide.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Am not sure if the furosemide could damage kidneys so quick but if this was the case could the kidneys recover? The vet said his levels were always 8 but now 15 am not sure what this means? Is this bad or good?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.

It would help to know what is wrong with his kidneys, by seeing his blood tests and urinalysis results. I don't know what your 8 and 15 are: BUN? Creatinine?

He could recover from kidney problems, depending on what the problem is.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My dog has been very happy and eating. I know he is getting older and you get more problems when dogs get older. The main thing in Kidneys I was told longs they eat. My dog is always eating. I think I best ask my vet to do another blood test since its been 2 months ago just to make sure everything is alright.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.

That would be best. Then we will know what his liver and kidney values are.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
okay thank you very much for your help.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.

You are welcome. Please let me know how he is doing.

Kindly consider rating my answer!

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian for more than 30 years
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
okay thanks
Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.

Thanks for the good rating. Please let me know how he is doing.