Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

Dog very ill. Temp 104. Had all vaccinations prior to moving

Dog very ill. Temp 104. Had all vaccinations prior to moving from Romania to UK. Took him to our vet and they gave him an L2 singular vaccination although he had had this vaccine a fews earlier. He won't eat, constantly sleeping. X-ray took all o. Bloods took all OK, they have sent bloods off to check for more exotic diseases. Has he been double dosed?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 5 months ago.

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm a licensed veterinarian with more than twenty years of experience. I'm here to help with your question about your dog's illness.
I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided. I'll do my best to earn your good rating, because that's the only way I receive any compensation for helping you.
In the meantime, in order to help me help you better, I'll need some more information. To start with, can you please tell me:

• Could you please clarify for me how long the time period was between the vaccinations?
  • When was the second vaccination given?
  • When did he start acting ill?

I'll be standing by and awaiting your reply.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He had first vaccinations 9th September 2nd vac 4th October. He started acting unwell probably a day later. Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for the quick reply. Typing in your information now...

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have attached a picture of his vaccinations card
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 5 months ago.

Please let me start by saying I'm so sorry your dog is so sick and that the process of getting a diagnosis for him is difficult and worrisome. That being said, I want to offer you every reassurance that this is not a result of anything along the lines of "over-vaccination". Receiving two doses of a vaccination one month apart is a standard practice.

That being said, I understand how tempting it is to think that second vaccination is what caused him to be sick since it was given a day before he got ill. Vaccine reactions do occur on occasion, but they usually start within an hour or two of receiving the shot, and go away without any treatment after 24 hours.

That makes me think something else is going on with your dog.

Looking at your images now...

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
That's good to know. Do you have any other ideas?
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 5 months ago.

Yes... nothing unusual in your vaccination history and no reason for alarm there.

There are too many things to list that can cause appetite loss, lethargy, and fever in a dog, even with normal preliminary bloodwork. How old is he and what kind of dog? How long have you had him?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have had him a week. He is from Romania, iam in the UK. He was in foster in Romania for 4 months with no illness. He hasn't been in the UK a week and he falls ill. He is approximately 4 years mixed breed.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
A picture
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 5 months ago.

Understood, thank you. It is very common for a dog to become ill during the stress of travel.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 5 months ago.

Beautiful guy! I love black and tan pups. What's his name?

He looks terribly thin.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 5 months ago.

If I were the vet looking after him, while waiting for additional blood tests, I'd be inclined to keep him in the hospital on IV fluids with supplemental feedings and on antibiotics just in case this is a bacterial infection.

Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience: DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
His bloods and xray all OK. The vets are sending bloods to check for more exotic diseases. He was extremely thin when he arrived last week. Evenmore so now he won't eat.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
That's what they are doing. I just wanted clarifying the overdose which as you say isn't the case. Thank you for your help. How do I pay
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
His name is Bobby
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks very much for clarification on the vaccinations. How do I pay
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 5 months ago.

This could be something bacterial, viral, parasitic, fungal, or even auto-immune. It's most likely something he was carrying along without problems, but the stress of travel brought it on.

Bobby. I will be thinking about you and Bobby and your efforts at rescuing him. I hope he feels better quickly.

Yes, no worry about vaccine overdose for Bobby. This is something else.

I'm afraid I don't get to see what the computer screen looks like on your end, but rest assured that since you have rated my answer five stars, I will be compensated on my end.

Thank you for using our website.