Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My dog has a swollen penis that's bright red and won't go

Customer Question

My dog has a swollen penis that's bright red and won't go back in the skin. This has happened a few times. The swelling goes down within a day but looks very uncomfortable
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Emma, I’m sorry to hear of this with Buford. You’ve described paraphimosis which is most commonly seen in young intact dogs but also occurs in castrated dogs. The etiologies (causes) include developmental preputial anomalies, e.g., a small preputial opening or hypoplastic prepuce; infections such as transmissable venereal tumor (rare) and balanoposthitis (infection of the prepuce); priapism (prolonged penile erection with or without sexual arousal); and a hair ring or scar tissue that has entrapped the penis. Paraphimosis is most commonly associated with a hair ring or a relatively stenotic preputial orifice in my practices. Ineffective preputial musculature that can’t effectively retract the penis into the prepuce is less common and usually associated with neurologic disease such as myelopathy (spinal cord disorder).

Conservative care involves the use of cold compresses and sugar or honey in an attempt to reduce swelling of the penis if swelling is present. Removal of the hair around the preputial orifice and applying a lubricant such as K-Y jelly and manually replacing the penis into the prepuce is then attempted. Failure to replace the penis should be considered an emergency and attended to by Buford's vet.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.