Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My dog has really bad diareaha he's only 9 weeks old. I've

Hi, my dog has really bad diareaha he's only 9 weeks old. I've noticed a little bit of blood but today I've noticed that he's had pure blood on the puppy pad
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Jasmine, I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Hematochezia (blood in the stool) at Jacob's age is usually related to intestinal parasitism such as with the nematodes roundworm, hookworm, and/or whipworm as well as the protozoan Giardia and coccidia. Pure blood is likely to represent a significant colitis due to one or more of those parasites. Jacob needs the attention of his vet at your earliest convenience. If he's been vomiting and appears quite weak as well, I also need to consider parvovirus infection. Severe parasitism and parvovirus are life-threatening and so time is of the essence to have Jacob attended to.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.