nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog as gone of is food and is stomach is making noises

Customer Question

hi my dog as gone of is food and is stomach is making noises
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
hi ive had sickness and terriblepains in my stomach all day yesterday and diaherri all last night phoned my work to tell them and they have asked for a sick note can you helpme please
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Are you look for advice about your dog?

Or a sick note for yourself (which needs to come from your GP after they have seen you)?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
about my dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for clarifying,

In that case, can you tell me if Lennie has had any sickness or diarrhea?

Can he keep water down?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Sticky or moist?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tensing or pain?

Could he have eaten anything he should not have (ie plants, toxins, toys, bones, medications, etc)?

Did you both eat possibly spoiled food?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
his gums are pink not in discomfort he had diarrhea with grass in it
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
he keeps water down
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 month ago.

First, since you have had recent GI signs, we do need to tread with care since there are some bacterial agents (ie Salmonella, Campylobacter, etc) that can make both dogs and people unwell. That said, we could also be seeing his signs due to unrelated issues like viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, general dietary indiscretions, and ingestion of harmful items (ie toxins, plants, non-edible items).

With this all in mind, since anorexia is often a nausea signs in dogs that don’t’ want to risk being sick, we’d want to try to counter that for him. To do so, you can consider trying an OTC pet safe antacid like Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Milk of Magnesia (0.5tsp every 8 hours). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Also if you give this and he cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Once he is more settled, you can plan to try small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only) There are also OTC vet diets (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) that can be used too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and less diarrhea. Fiber (ie canned or boiled pumpkin) can also be added to these meals to bulk up his stool quicker. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to what you normally feed.

Since dehydration is a risk here, we need to keep an eye on his hydration. To check this and make sure dehydration isn’t an issue, there are a few parameters you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure his eyes are not looking sunken and that he doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you do see any of these signs already, then that would be our cue to have him seen before this becomes an additional issue (especially since its often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Finally, as long as there is no blood in those stools, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure for infectious issues; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is OTC Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing his upset GI.

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the signs we are seeing and it is possible that your signs are linked. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to try to settle his stomach. Though if he cannot keep that or water down, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, test a stool sample (which may help you know if you need to be seen too), ensure nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be, or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat with injectable anti-vomiting medication, appetite stimulants +/- antibiotics to settle his stomach and get him back feeling like himself.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  nekovet replied 1 month ago.

Hello again,

How is everything with your wee one?

Dr. B.