Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

How soon can a rabies booster be given to a puppy please? I

Customer Question

How soon can a rabies booster be given to a puppy please? I am exporting a puppy for someone and very stupidly got the rabies vaccine done at 12 weeks when it was supposed to be a 3 months. I now need to get a booster done before it can travel (allowing for the 21 days)...please help!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

I understand that you are shipping a puppy and one of the requirements is that a Rabies vaccine be given at least 21 days before travel, and that the vaccine be given no earlier than 3 months of age.

If her Rabies vaccine was given at 12 weeks that is 3 months of age, so what you have already done is fine. The Rabies vaccine could be given again without hurting her, but there is no need to do so. We have cases where vaccines are accidentally given twice within weeks or months of each other and no harm is done. It's un-necessary and not ideal to over-stimulate the immune system, but it isn't necessarily harmful in the long run. It wouldn't be much different than getting the vaccine and then being exposed to the illness/virus you were vaccinating against. It would just be further stimulus of her immune system.

Best of luck with your puppy, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I wanted to check in and see if you had any further questions after reading my response. If you do please feel free to respond with them. If not I would appreciate an update on your pet, thank you, ***** *****