Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

My dog has suddenly developed a pea sized lump on her snout

Customer Question

My dog has suddenly developed a pea sized lump on her snout (half way between her nose and eyes) it's on the boney part, I tried to squeeze it but nothing came out, it scanned over and is not a red pea sized lump, it doesn't seem to bother her and is being her self, I am fearing the worst and can't get into the vets and I'm going away tomorrow any idea what this could be?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 11 months ago.

I am sorry to hear about this concern.

Do not squeeze any further, because it will contribute to inflammation.

Unfortunately, at this point, we really don't know if this is a nodule, cyst, sebaceous grwoth, or possibly a malig***** *****ke a mast cell tumor.
I would leave it alone. As soon as possible, have the vet get a look at it, feel it, and than make a judgement call if a basic fine needle aspirate test needs to be done.
Fine-needle aspirate test is performed usually without anesthesia and is very quick. Your veterinarian takes a few needle samples from the lump (the needle is no larger than the needle used to give vaccines). The sample is smeared on to microscope slides and submitted to the laboratory. It is not always as definitive as a biopsy (this is a full tissue sample), but often it can yield enough information to help guide you and your vet as to whether a biopsy is needed, or if surgery should be performed.

Hope that information helps

Dr. Andy

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thankyou, should I put anything on it in the meantime to prevent any infection or just leave it alone all together?
It was crusty then when I squeezed it a tiny bit of fluid came out but then nothing now it's just a red very hard lump.
I am on holiday until Friday but can ask someone to take her to the vets for me would it be best to get it checked as soon as? Thankyou

Putting some basic neosporin on it would be okay. If a little inflamed, some topical hydrocortisone cream is also suitable.

I would have it evaluated a bit sooner. When you squeezed it and it opened up, that could predispose it to getting infected.

Make sure to note for the visit what the fluid looked like that came out. That information might help vet a bit.

Dr. Andy

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Okay the fluid was just watery. Thankyou for your help. I will get her seen asap

Sounds like a plan.

Good Luck!

Might just be a cyst, insect bite/sting rxn, impacted hair follicle. Could be lots of things.

Dr. Andy

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
My mum has just said that her friend has some Lilly's down on the floor and our dog was sniffing at them could that have anything to do with it?

Nope.

Dr. Andy