Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My yorkie was spayed last Friday morning. he ate normally

my yorkie was spayed last Friday morning. he ate normally Friday night chicken and rice and again on Satur day. Sunday about 7 pm he was sick 5 times. this morning he vomited a small foamy amount. tonight a tiny amount of jelly looking bits with small brown pieces in it. he has refused to eat anything since last night. I live a long way from emergency vet and I will contact my vet in the morning but I need help now and I am worried for him. he is small and was found abandoned I did not get him until 4 months ago and have spent a lot on vetinary care. I am 63 and cannot afford much more expense. he was an abused dog.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry you are going through this with your dog. My name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How much does he weigh?

2- How many hours since the last time he vomited?

3- Is he currently on any medications?

4- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
3.5 kilos 3hr. Yes on meds but cannot give it until after food. no bounces about a bit then goes quit and lethargic seems quiet for past 2 hrs
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no call
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

1- What are the names of the medications?

2- Do you have access to a pharmacy (chemist) now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
chemist yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
meloxicam
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you for answering my questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are u still there?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I am typing. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok sorry
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Evelyn, as you may already know it is not normal for a dog to be vomiting several days after being neutered. Vomiting can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing. But, common causes are a simple gastritis, dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes. We also have to consider meloxicam as a possible cause. In any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Stop the Meloxicam until he is not longer vomiting and eating as usual. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. Or, Zantac (ranitidine) 75mg 1/8th of a tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC (famotidine) or Zantac (ranitidine) over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist).

2- No food or water for 4-6 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 4-6 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you will get some zantac and see vet in the morning.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Perfect.

You're welcome. :)