nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a five year old cross bread dog. Yesterday she has

I have a five year old cross bread dog.
Yesterday she has began vomiting after an hour she has eating. Before vomiting she was shaking all over her body periodical for a couple of minutes.
Today morning she refused food.
Any clues on this?
Peter
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 9 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Will she drink and can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi. No problem with water.
Gums are pink and moist.
No discomfort on belly press.
No she don't have eaten anything she should not have.
Expert:  nekovet replied 9 months ago.

Thank you, Peter.

First, I am glad to hear that she hasn't any of those more serious signs. In that case, I would note that Maya’s signs are suggestive of underlying nausea. Her shaking is just a non-specific sign that she is feeling unwell or may be a bit feverish. But both her vomiting and the refusal to eat tell us that nausea is at the root of this for her. In regards ***** ***** for this, common ones include bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, general dietary indiscretions, and ingestion of harmful items (thankfully less likely here).

With this all in mind, we can try some home supportive care to see if we can settle her stomach. To start, you can try an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac).

Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with your vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention. And if you try this and find the nausea just too severe to keep it down, then that is usually a red flag that we need the local vet to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication.

Once that has absorbed, we can try tempting Maya with a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). When you offer these meals, give her 30 minutes after to settle. If she keeps the food down, you can give a bit more and so on. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until her signs are settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet.

Overall, Maya’s signs tell us that she is still nauseous after yesterday’s vomiting. So, we have a few concerns for this. Though since she doesn’t have those more serious signs I asked about, we can try supportive care to settle her stomach. If she cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours (since we don’t want her off food for long); then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, your vet can treat her with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to get her feeling better.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
She had the same symptoms a year ago. Our vet said she had too much stomach acid, and gave her some antacid, or acid blocker. After a few days she became better, and had no problems with it since yesterday. I must say that we moved from Hungary to Uk since then, and had to change food types because we did not find the same brand here in the Uk.
Expert:  nekovet replied 9 months ago.

Hi again,

If she is prone to acid reflux, then this too could cause the signs we are seeing an antacid (which is the same as an acid blocker) would be indicated for that and general stomach upset. Though a quick diet change could also trigger GI upset, but only if it was recently done. So, we'd want to take the above approach with her and since you noted being in the UK, Zantac/Ranitidine would be our preferred option since you can get this OTC at most chemists or grocery stores.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please rate me by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )