Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

I am a 61 year old and relative aware of most problems dogs

Customer Question

I am a 61 year old and relative aware of most problems dogs can have and i am almost certain my GSD girl of 9 months aprox age has left hip displacia which she finds hinders her walking and she cannot jump at all, her left leg crosses and goes under her body as she walks, my vet says any surgery will not be covered by insurance or the pdsa due it being something she was probably born with so now i feel she is condemmed to a life of pain or pills which are not great or a solution can you suggest any alternative for her, i feel she needs surgery to solve this when she has finished growing what would you say?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 9 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry to hear your GSD is showing these signs. Has your veterinarian taken x-rays to determine the severity of the dysplasia? This would absolutely be my first step because there are some that physical therapy can help with at this age to strengthen the hip joint whereas others will require surgery to improve quality of life.

Doing hip x-rays which includes one on her back with her legs extended as well as with an orthopedist called Penn Hip x-rays will help gauge her level of dysplasia but also give you a plan of action and how best to help her

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
have not given money to a vet to anaesthtise her and paid a vet to take xrays so he can tell me what i know already without forking out the money to attack her with drugs and radiation, then we are stuck with it condemming her and written in her notes ..........FORGET getting ANY insurance. then just now as i bought 2 sisters he does not know which of my girls i am talking about