Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Can I give my large lab human pain relief for arthritis

Customer Question

can I give my large lab human pain relief for arthritis
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 11 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Hello, again, my name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is he currently on any medications?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

3- Is he on any supplements?

4- How much does he weigh?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
for cuchines no supplements and 42kilo

Friend, I am sorry that you are having this problem with your dog. In response to your question, unfortunately, there is nothing over the counter that I can recommend for you to give your dog long term for arthritis. I would not give human pain medicine, most are toxic to dogs. The best option is phoning your vet for a prescription medication, I am sorry. I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand. In the meantime, you can begin to supplement him with Cosequin (glucosamine), you can buy this over the counter in any pet store. Cosequin helps by promoting the production of joint fluid, I would keep him on Cosequin long term. It may take a couple of weeks to truly see the benefits.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter