How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 30774
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now

Our dog ate some chocolate yesterday night. He had some

Customer Question

Hi our dog ate some chocolate yesterday night. He had some Maltesers before in surrey where he only had an upset stomach. He is still breathing and very windy. He has lasted for 9hours and still alive but still worried about him
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has not vomited or had diarrhoea
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Hayley, I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Murphy, please?

It takes approximately 2 ounces of milk chocolate per kilogram of body weight to intoxicate a dog with the theobromine in chocolate which can cause agitation, vomiting, and tremors if ingested in sufficient amount. It takes 2/3 of an ounce of dark chocolate per kilogram of body. I suspect that an adult Lab didn't ingest nearly the amount to intoxicate himself and so will remain safe. As with ingesting anything unusual transient gastrointestinal distress in the form of inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea can arise, however.