Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My border collie is nearly 13 years old and apart from a bit

Customer Question

My border collie is nearly 13 years old and apart from a bit of arthritis is very fit and active .
She now has had diarrhoea now for the last few days - but she is drinking and not at all lethargic. I have starved her for 24 hours until yesterday when I gave her some cooked chicken and white rice. Her pooh is still thin watery bright yellow liquid. Any home suggestions.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 9 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Hello, again, my name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is she currently on any medications?

2- How much does she weigh?

3- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No medication. She weighs about 19 k. And no other symptoms
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
There's nothing more to say thank you

Thank you, ***** ***** me a few minutes to type your answer.

Skye, diarrhea can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing, I am sorry. But, common causes are dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes. This is what you can do:

1- Pepto Bismol 1/2 tablespoon every 8 hours for 1-2 days. You can buy Pepto Bismol over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist).

2- No food or water for 4-6 hours, need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer a small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean her back into her regular diet. Keep her indoors in a cool room and no exercise when fasting.

3- Supplement with a probiotic, these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- If after doing the above you do not see improvement within 24 hours I would have her checked by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter