Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dogs right ear has irritation. trying to look in both

Customer Question

my dogs right ear has irritation. trying to look in both ears, the right was making him quivering away with pain/fear. I managed to look and it seems to be waxy not like the other clear ear.
any help/tips?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry to hear your Cavalier is having issues with his ears!

I can give you some basic guidelines but if there is no change or they worsen then please consult your veterinarian to begin stronger treatment such as topical antibiotics/ steroids and possibly even oral ones as well...

- Diphenhydramine 1 mg/ pound every 8 hours if you have this available to help with the itch and discomfort of an infection/ inflammatory response. May sedate mildly
- 75/25 Water to white vinegar solution with cotton balls to wipe the ears out every 1-2 days (no q tips!) and remove any debris and infection
- Take a moist towel and put it in the freezer and apply to the ear or side of the face for relief of discomfort
- If you have any previously prescribed pain medication for him then that can also provide relief as well
- Please no over the counter ointments or salves which can put the tympanic membrane or inner ear at risk

I hope this makes sense and helps guide the treatment for your Alphie. If this is a moderate infection unfortunately it will require prescription topical medication to treat and hopefully allow this inflammation to resolve swiftly...

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier and hopefully Alphie is more comfortable with my suggestions

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!