nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

For the last week my dog hasn't been eating much, he's

Customer Question

For the last week my dog hasn't been eating much, he's eating grass and has diarrhoea. Today is the 2nd time i've seen him vomiting a white mucus. I've contacted the vet but they can't see him until tomorrow.
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 6 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

What does his diarrhea look like?

Can he keep any water down?

Are his gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I've attached a photo, It's dark in colour.
He can keep water down but he is drinking less than normal.
His gums are pink and somewhat moist.
I've felt his belly and its soft, he's showing no signs of any discomfort or pain when I touch it.
I don't think he could of eaten anything harmful. We have had pigeons in the garden and I've seen him licking the grass.
He has also lost weight
6 weeks ago he went missing and when he returned he couldn't walk on his back legs. The vet carried out X-ray and diagnosed right Hip dislocated & the surrounding structures severely damaged. The vet said this was caused by trauma, such as a severe fall or a car accident. He also diagnosed start of arthritis in front paw. He was given inflamationry medication for this.
Expert:  nekovet replied 6 months ago.

First, I am glad to see that he hasn't likely eaten something harmful and hasn't those more urgent signs I asked about. Though we do need to be proactive if he is loosing weight with this upper and lower GI upset. In regards ***** ***** causes here, if he is ingesting bird feces then bacterial agents would be a top concern. Of course,we can also see this with viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, or dietary indiscretion. As well, if he is on those anti-inflammatories now, most of them can also trigger GI upset.

With this all in mind, we may need to hold off any anti-inflammatories he may be on and start supportive care to try to settle his stomach. To start, if he hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest his stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating him an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if he cannot keep it down due to nausea, that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Afterwards, we'd want to start small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the upset gut; which means more nutrients and less GI upset/diarrhea. Fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and OTC probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) can be added to these meals to firm those loose stools quicker and support digestion. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to your normal diet.

Furthermore, as that stool is quite loose, we can also consider starting a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure for infectious issues; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing his upset GI.

Overall, his signs do raise some concerns. So, we'd want to start the above now to reduce those for him until his vet can see him. Of course, once they do, we may need to have a stool sample tested +/- have them start injectable anti-nausea medication +/- antibiotics to nip this in the bud.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi, thank you for this information, he stopped the inflammtory tablets at least 2 weeks ago. I will follow your advice around supportive care for his upset stomach and book an appointment with the vet. Thanks again
Expert:  nekovet replied 6 months ago.

Good, I am glad to hear that we can remove those from our list of concerns for him.

In that case, we can just go ahead with the above to soothe his stomach and get him eating better as we try to reduce that diarrhea.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi I took my dog to the vet as his back legs gave way by yesterday afternoon, but he wouldn't allow them to examine him. They diagnosed Gastroenteritis & I've started him on his medication. I was checking him over last night and noticed the attached on his foot, I'm back at the vets tomorrow so I can let them know. Do you think this is something I should be concerned about.could it be Alabama Rot?
Expert:  nekovet replied 6 months ago.

Good morning,

The lesion gives the impression of a possible recent tick bite (possible trigger for his signs) or dermatitis. Alabama rot is always a concern we have to have in the back of our minds but they don't tend to look quite like this (they tend to be inflamed/ulcerative) so I'd not have that on the top of my list here for him but it is worth showing them +/- bathing it with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute betadine, chlorohexidine, or salt water) to see if we can get it settled. Of course, if they have started antibiotics for the GI signs, that should help with that too.

All the best,

Dr. B.