Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Evening, we have a 12 week old Cockermouth with a cough with

Customer Question

Evening, we have a 12 week old Cockermouth with a cough with a gag at the end. He has had this for near 4 weeks. It's worse at night and has had two lots of antibiotics to treat for kennel cough (unsuccessful). He is full of life and really happy. Feeding well, drinking lots, very playful and energetic. The cough is worse of an evening but the last day and a half its been throughout the day. Could this be hayfever? Could we try anything else? The vets now want to put him under for an x-ray but I'm worried this is over kill as he is extremely happy. Thank you
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It's not a Cockermouth it's a Cockermouth spaniel sorry auto correct
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Cocker spaniel. Third time lucky. I have a video of the cough but it won't let me send it
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Such a persistent cough suggests that kennel cough has progressed into pneumonia or kennel cough never was the problem; instead, canine influenza which is prone to cause pneumonia may have been the primary infection. At this point both X-rays of Dexter's chest and PCR (DNA-based) testing for all of the respiratory infectious agents should be considered.

You can upload videos to YouTube or a similar app.