Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My two dogs have run into each other on the beach while on

Customer Question

my two dogs have run into each other on the beach while on holiday, one dog is now limping quite badly but has got a little better when walked off but we're more conserned that her neck is bleeding, i have cleaned the wound and checked it and i cant see much! any advice???
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Can you upload a photo(s) of this wound to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing. "I can't see much" is unclear to me.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
you cant see anything on a photograph due to her thick hair sadly! shes now let me have a better look and it looks like a claw stratch its about 1/2 cm deep, and 1cm long! the bleeding has slowed a lot from when i first messaged and i have kept on top of keeping it clean and massaging her leg she looked lame on and its looking a lot better! do you think i should carry on with this method and then evaluate tomorrow after ive seen her walk on it again???

Perhaps a canine tooth mark? I think jaws are more likely to cause such pain than a nail. There may be a puncture a few inches away from this lesion and, if so, may end up abscessing if a systemic antibiotic isn't onboard within 48 hours of the bite. Yes, monitor over the weekend but if you notice swelling and pain continues, Shadow's vet will need to look at this leg on Monday. Please continue our conversation if you wish.