Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

We are looking to have a beagle but after reading some of

Customer Question

we are looking to have a beagle but after reading some of the pet advice and forums it s making us feel it would be more of a liability to have a beagle rather than a pleasure can you help us.phil
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 11 days ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I really do think it depends on the household that the Beagle is in and the temperament of the Beagle. In general they need to be in an active home, someone who hikes, runs, bikes, or walks at least 45 minutes daily to minimize their risk of getting into trouble

If there are young children in the house they are great dogs for families but can be escape artists if doors or gates are left open but again this can be reduced by ensuring they are kept active and out of trouble

My brother is also looking at the breed and as long as you are aware of their activity needs and this goes with your lifestyle then they can be great dogs but if you are a senior couple or more sedentary this might not be the best choice for your situation

Talking to breeders who have these dogs and finding one that matches your personality and needs is also key. Someone who is open to chatting at length and you feel comfortable will ensure a good fit they really can be great family dogs

I hope this helps but please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you today, I am online another hour tonight in the states

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!